On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Interpret contextual information and assessment data to identify strategies that improve students’ use of Standard Australian English (SAE) for learning.
- Design and implement interventions that respond to the needs of English Language Learners.
- Select teaching strategies and learning activities that strengthen the oracy and literacy skills of EAL/D learners.
- Appraise the content and language demands of classroom tasks to incorporate culturally responsive, scaffolded support for English Language Learners including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
- Adapt and modify content and learning sequences to promote challenging and achievable language and literacy learning for students across a full range of language abilities.
- Justify the use of formative assessment and feedback strategies that improve the language proficiency, vocabulary and literacy capabilities of EAL/D students.
Successful completion of the unit Teaching English Language Learners provides opportunities for students to demonstrate the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers focus areas of 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 2.1, 2.2, 2.5, 3.1, 3.3, 3.5, 3.6, 4.1, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.4. Assessment tasks for this unit may be included in a portfolio and used as evidence of progress towards meeting the standards at Graduate career stage and as the focus for identifying professional learning needs.