On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- have formed a suitable problem definition for their project
- have extracted relevant information from all available sources (including all forms of information technology, library searching, client and colleague expertise, and trade literature) related to the study
- have demonstrated the ability to adhere to work schedules
- have demonstrated a detailed technical knowledge of the study and proficiency in all technical aspects of the study
- have developed the ability to think critically (1)
- have demonstrated the ability to communicate effectively by generating progress reports and interim report of study
- identify a potential source for publication of at least one research paper (conference or journal standard) to be presented as part of the final dissertation
- develop a plan for site visits
Master of Environmental Management course has two research units, viz EVST 21018 and EVST 21019. Both these units deal with the same research project over one year of study-period.
In the first unit (EVST 21018), the students will identify a research topic in consultation with their supervisor. They will conduct literature search, develop research methods and procure required resources to commence the project towards the end of the Term.
During the above process, the students will also submit up to 5 progress reports. These reports will form part of the final mini-thesis which will be produced at the end of year-long study.
The second unit (EVST 21019) will involve conduct of research, collection and analysis of data, write up of mini-thesis and possibly publication of research results.
On satisfactory completion of this research, the students will be able to undertake environmental tasks in a systematic manner with the view to solving local, regional or national environmental issues..
Students will negotiate a research topic in consultation with their supervisor (s) and the unit co-ordinator, in a specialist area of expertise and interest.
On completion of this research project students will be equipped the students to carry out research in environmental science or environmental management, with the view to finding sustainable solutions to environmental problems.