Objectives and Outcomes.
Throughout this course the learning tasks within each module aim to ensure that you are thinking broadly about the influence of external factors on the health of older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. This task asks you to critically analyse the efficacy of a current government strategy that aims to address the healthy ageing needs of Indigenous people. To do so you will need to apply your knowledge about the unique determinants of health for Indigenous people, as well as Indigenous ways of knowing about health and ageing.
You will need to select a current government strategy that either does, or should aim to address the healthy ageing needs of older Indigenous people. The document can be relevant on a local, state or national level.
This task asks you to evaluate how well the government document considers the current and future needs of the Indigenous ageing population. An additional requirement is to provide solutions for any perceived shortcomings.
You will need to consider the needs of this generation, and future cohorts of older people. The purpose of this task is to develop your skills in assessing the suitability of government documents to account for the diverse needs of older Indigenous people. You will need to consider if the document has the potential to promote cultural safety and be effective at what it is aiming to achieve.
To begin with, you are writing a proposal that will give an outline or summary of your full essay. This proposal is Assessment 1. You will receive feedback on this proposal and you will then write the full essay. The full essay which is Assessment 2, will entail a critical analysis on the efficacy of a relevant government document that aims to address the healthy ageing needs of Indigenous people.
1. Select a government document that has direct implications for older Indigenous people.
2. Search for current quality literature on the key determinants of health in older Indigenous people. In addition, search for evidence based literature on how to improve healthy ageing outcomes using culturally appropriate approaches.
3. Search for and select quality literature that provides evidence-based information on the efficacy of legislation and policy.
1. Write an overview of your essay including your key arguments.
2. Include the government document you selected and why, the determinants of health you will be discussing, and three key journal articles or book chapters you will be using to guide your discussion and support your arguments.
Requirements and Resources
· Include a cover page providing your name, the name and code of the course, and the title of the assessment.
· You can use course provided materials and other credible sources (journal articles, books) to reference your argument. The quality and credibility of your sources is very important at a post-graduate level. Many citations of a source is a good indication of significance.
· Please use American Psychological Association (APA) referencing style. The CQUniversity Academic Learning Centre has an online APA Referencing Style Guide.
· We recommend you use EndNote to manage your citations and reference list, more information on how to use EndNote is available at the CQUniversity Library website.
· For more information on academic writing please go to the Academic Learning Centre Moodle site. The Academic Communication section has many helpful resources including information for students with English as a second language.