You will need to complete a portfolio of three sections, as outlined below:
Section 1: Ethical Principles (20% of overall mark)
In this section, you are to discuss two (2) situations where ethics has come into play during your clinical placement (or, if needed, within your own current clinical practice). Please do not include any information that may identify any participants in the situations you describe.
Please start with an introduction to the situation, and research/articulate the ethical principles you felt were in play and what any issues or conflicts were. You are then to offer a discussion of your thoughts and findings based upon the following questions:
· Were these issues resolved? If so, how? If not, what was the result?
· How did you feel about either being involved in or bearing witness to the situation?
· How will this affect your future clinical practice?
· Are you comfortable with your current knowledge of ethics as part of your practice? Is there any self-development you need to undertake?
Section 2: Leadership & management (20% of overall mark)
In this section, reflect on situations you have experienced during your own clinical practice and placements in this unit and document your thoughts on areas such as:
· What you think are good overall qualities or traits to espouse?
· What you think are good communication strategies to engage?
· Visibility & accessibility as a leader/manager?
· How you currently offer feedback (positive & negative) and could you improve?
· Promoting a positive practice environments including advocacy
· Conflict management
Section 3: Self-reflection, quality improvement & career development (20% of overall mark)
In this section, for the first part discuss your overall self-reflection on your development as a practitioner, during your clinical placements, through this program and on your own current clinical practice.
In the second part, consider areas of paramedicine from a quality improvement perspective. With your new knowledge and understanding of primary and low acuity health care, and with exposure to clinical practice in the field, what quality improvement could you see applied in paramedicine in your State, or in Australia more broadly? Do you anticipate the nature of paramedicine changing as a result of this?
In the third part, discuss your career development plan. Now that you have gained underpinning knowledge and experience in primary and low acuity care, where do you see yourself applying your new qualifications? Are there opportunities within your own service or others that you would like to pursue? What other clinical areas might you see your skills applying?