T1 2017 NURS13128 Nursing care for children and their families
Assessment 2: Written Assessment & Power Point Presentation – Adolescent Health
Word limit: 2000 words
Weighting: 60% Due: Week 12, Thursday 1st June 1600hrs
Assessment item two addresses course learning outcomes one, two, three and four.
1.Utilise evidence-based practice principles to compare the unique biopsychosocial stages of child development and the impact these have on children and their families.
2.Examine legal, ethical and socio-cultural trends and their effect upon the provision of safe collaborative nursing care to children and their families.
3.Discuss cultural awareness principles and family centred care as applied to the nursing care of children and families.
4.Evaluate health promotion strategies at a local, national and international level relevant to the health and wellness of children and their families.
Instructions to students
When addressing the assessment topic, it is expected that you will write in the third person, read widely around the topic and correctly reference your paper using the APA referencing style. Please note: referencing constitutes 10% of your overall mark for this assessment. The Course Study Guide, Course Profile or handouts from the on-campus clinical laboratories/residential school should not be used as reference sources. Please ensure all assessable items are in the body of the paper, as any appendix will not attract extra marks.
A 2000-word limit has been set for this assessment. A 10% leeway on either side of the word limit will be accepted. Word count will be measured from the first word of the introduction to last word of the conclusion. Not included in the word count are in text references (for example your reference in brackets), the contents page, reference list and appendix.
Submitting your NURS13128 Assessment through Turnitin
Please submit your assessment into the course Moodle site in two documents.
Document 1 should contain your powerpoint presentation inclusive of speech notes and reference list.
Your powerpoint and speech notes need to be converted to word for submission by doing the following:
1. Click on File.
2. Click on Save and Send.
3. Under file types, click on Create Handouts.
4. Under Create Handouts in Microsoft Word, click on Create Handouts.
5. The Send to Microsoft Office Word dialogue box appears.
6. This has several options as to how you would like your handouts to appear in Word. Choose one of them.
7. Click on OK, wait a short while, and there they are.
Office 2013 (and 2016 is the same)
1. Click on File.
2. Click on Export.
3. Click on Create handouts on the left.
4. Click on Create Handouts on the right.
5. This has several options as to how you would like your handouts to appear in Word. Choose one.
6. Click on OK, wait a short while, and there they are.
To add a title page to your document in Microsoft Word:
• Select “Insert” in top menu.
• Select “Blank Page” in far right of drop down menu.
• Your reference list should be included in slides at the end of your speech so that your listeners are aware of the sources you have used and that your discussion is based on evidence.
• If you choose, you can also add in a reference list at the end of the document by again going to insert (top menu), and then choosing blank page.
This document should be saved with the following:
• Your name.
• Student number and
• NURS13128 Assessment item 2.
Document 2 should contain your self-reflection, your five presentation evaluations and your marking assessment criteria.
*Please be aware that this document will have a high turnitin score, as all students are required to submit the presentation evaluation templates and the marking criteria tool.
Self Reflection – Word Document (500 words). Details provided at the end of this document.
Presentation evaluations – Five completed evaluations. Please scan and upload these into your second word document. (The blank template of this tool is available both in this document and as a separate document under Essential Assessment Two information in moodle).
Marking Assessment Criteria – Please copy and paste the marking criteria at the end of your second word document, following the self-reflection and the five evaluations. (This template is also available both in this document and as a separate document under Essential Assessment Two information in moodle).
As per Document 1 please save the second document with your name, student number and NURS13128 Assessment Item 2.
Assessment 2 Task details
The purpose of this assessment/presentation is to encourage critical analysis and reflection on nursing practice that would be applied in a community paediatric setting. It is expected that you will utilise up to date, evidence based literature to inform your responses.
You are a 3rd year student registered nurse continuing on your final placement in a Child and Family Community Health Clinic. You have learned that a number factors increase the risk of poor outcomes in adolescence if they are not managed well. Three of these factors are listed below. You are required to: Conduct a ten minute oral presentation on ONE of the topics below.
· Adolescent mental health.
· Adolescent sexual health.
· Adolescent drug & alcohol use.
*The topics are deliberately broad so that you can provide an overview of the larger issue or focus on one particular area of interest – for example: depression in adolescence or teenage pregnancy or tobacco use in adolescence.
You are required to develop a power-point presentation that you will utilise whilst delivering your oral presentation. Remember to consider the audience when developing and delivering your power-point presentation.
Present your oral presentation to a minimum of five people (this may be your colleagues, family & friends and/or peers). Five audience members will be required to complete an evaluation of your presentation (using the evaluation tool located on moodle in the assignment section); you will then scan and upload the evaluations into your second word document (as described earlier) along with your self-reflection.
Note: It is expected that you would need 7 – 10 slides for a ten-minute presentation. You should include and address the following:
· Your chosen topic must identify the significance of the health problem in your community and within Australia by using demographic data/statistics. Compare Australian statistics to world health data.
· Give a brief overview of how your chosen topic influences adolescent health both in their present and in their future health.
· Ensure that you review age groups as well as ethnic and cultural groups to establish who is most impacted by this issue.
· Address why the issue is so prevalent in this target group, providing evidence to justify your view point.
· From a nursing practice perspective communicate with the audience how you address the legal and ethical issues that arise when adolescents present to the clinic for support and advice with your chosen issue.
· Establish a health promotion plan that provides three family-centred, ethically and culturally appropriate interventions that could potentially prevent and improve outcomes for your target group. The plan should incorporate evidence-based rationales for the interventions.
· Consider developmental stages and needs of the target group to ensure safe, therapeutic nursing care when forming your health promotion plan.
· When finalising your powerpoint presentation document the strategies utilised to demonstrate that you have considered your target audience.
Critical thinking and problem solving skills are attributes required by the registered nurse. To be able to effectively critically think and problem solve the registered nurse must also be able to critically reflect on their own knowledge and skills. This is also part of our Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) registered nurse standards for practice. To facilitate the development of this skill you are required to undertake a self-reflection of your NURS13128 Paediatric Nursing assessment prior to submission. To do this you will need to reflect on your health promotion project by answering the following questions. (500 words)
Reflect on your presentation:
What went well?
What areas could you improve?
What would you do differently next time?
Do you feel that you addressed the assignment task? If so, how? If not, why do you feel that you have not addressed the assignment task and how could you improve for next time?
Do you feel that by developing this health promotion plan, you have gained knowledge that will change your future nursing practice? Explain your answer.
Please note that you are not required to provide references for your self-reflection as this should be based on your thoughts and feelings.