Task Rationale: A plethora of teaching and learning resources are available for teachers to use in the design of their lessons. Choosing appropriate activities and resources that align with current literature and research-based best practice in teaching and learning numeracy is a professional responsibility and integral to preparation for teaching.
Task details: In this task you are required to critically examine three teaching videos and decide whether they are consistent with current approaches to teaching and learning numeracy. Your report should provide a literature-based justification of your decision.
To complete the task you will need to:
1. View the three (3) teaching videos and briefly describe the mathematics concept, numeracy learning and pedagogical strategy.
2. Investigate the mathematics topic for each video using the following questions as a guide:
What strand, sub strand, year level, content descriptor and elaboration in the Australian Curriculum: Mathematics (2016) does each address?
What is the sequence for developing understanding of the topic?
What approach does the literature advocate for teaching the topic?
What are the common learning issues reported in the literature?
3. Construct a set of criteria with which you can critique and compare each video strategy to the teaching approach/s advocated in authoritative literature sources.
4. Using your critique, decide whether the strategies are consistent with current approaches to mathematics teaching and learning and how students learn, and the implications for teaching.
5. Justify your decision using authoritative literature sources.
6. Choose one video and use your critique to develop a lesson plan exemplar. Include annotations on the lesson plan that justify your teaching strategy choice/s, sequencing decisions, selection of resources, and evidence of how the teaching plan has been improved or enhanced.
Your assessment task submission should use a report presentation-style and include:
a) Abstract (100 - 150 words)
b) Table of contents
c) Introduction (100 - 150 words)
d) Description of the three mathematics strategies (300 -360 words)
e) Investigation of the mathematics topic each video addresses (450 - 600 words)
f) Critique and comparison of each strategy to the literature and teaching experiences (300 - 360 words)
g) Justification of your decision regarding each strategy (300 - 600 words)
h) Conclusion (100 - 150 words)
j) Appendices - Lesson plan
(N.B. *Number of words indicated is a approximate guide only)