Select a small to medium-sized business (up to 30 employees) for which you have been asked to develop a safety management system.
Part A (5%) (500 words)
1. Describe the business and the industry it operates in. Identify any aspects of the business or industry that you consider might require particular attention from a health and safety perspective.
2. What is the occupational health and safety performance of the industry or of relevant occupational aspects of the industry (e.g. high level of MSDs, working at heights, working in confined spaces, etc.)
Part B (15%) (1 500 words)
1. Develop a Table of Contents for an SMS Manual for the business. The Table of Contents should contain a range of elements (main headings) and their components (subheadings) for the hazards that the business will be required to manage. Provide a brief statement describing each element (heading).
2. Provide an explanation (150 words) of how the OHSMS operates in terms of its format, content, purposes and functions.
3. Prepare an Implementation Plan outlining one strategy the business has decided to undertake to improve OHS outcomes (i.e. a training initiative, a process for hazard reporting or a new method for conducting inspections). Include the following in the plan
• The series of steps required to implement the strategy
• Methods or activities used to consult with others
• The allocation of key tasks to be undertaken in order to implement the plan, inclusive of dates/time frames
• A method of tracking the completion of tasks prescribed in the plan.
Part C (10%) (1 000 words)
1. List three sources of information and data that would be relevant to the business in the management of OHS risks (i.e. name specific reports, registers or records). Explain how information and data can be collected, recorded and analysed to assist in managing OHS risks in the business.
2. List the benefits to an organisation of having workers’ compensation, return-to-work and injury management integrated into the SMS.