This task requires you to analyse news in order to compare genres and approaches to journalistic practice.
You should select and analyse three (3) contemporary news stories (published in the last month), including:
One (1) Sports news story AND
One (1) Police or Court news story AND
One (1) Political news story.
At least one (1) of these three stories should be of extended length (more than1000 words), either a feature item, investigative piece, media interview or current affairs segment.
You will need to submit copies of the three (3) news stories you have chosen as appendices to your essay. These appendices can be scanned copies of print articles, transcripts (if the story was broadcast), or a 'cut and paste' of an online article. The appendices of the news stories need to be in such a form that teaching staff can refer to the original material. You should also include the details of the news stories as references in your essay's Reference list.
When analysing your three (3) news stories, either in print, broadcast or online in the local or state media, refer to and address the questions listed below:
1. In terms of 'who, what, why, when, where, and how', what is being reported?
2. Is the story based on an issue (something ongoing) or an event (something specific that happened)?
3. What are the dominant news values in each of the news stories?
4. Does each story follow the standard reporting elements of who, what, when, where, how and why? If not, what other elements are present?
5. Compare and contrast the three (3) stories, paying particular attention to sources (those quoted/facts and figures), personalities/identities (names featured, but not necessarily quoted), and conclusions (angle, or the way the story is framed).
6. What are the differences in the way the stories are written and presented? Account for differences in style, format and presentation.
7. Discuss the significance of the three (3) stories in terms of their prominence and placement in the media outlet you have chosen (eg. Which section? Was the story front page? Was it the top link? Was it the most prominent sports story?)
8. What do the prominence and presentation of the three (3) stories tell you about the readership or audience of the local or state outlets in which they appear?
You are expected to reference your discussion. The word count is 1,500 words.