For the Portfolio Assignment the lecturer will set a larger problem that involves two or more specific Hazards. You will identify the Hazards, and use the 7 Step process to evolve a plan for understanding and dealing with each of the hazards.
The steps in the Process followed for each Hazard should include 7 Tasks:
1. Describing the Hazards
2. Defining the Pathogens involved and Routes of Exposure
3. Outline the Pathogenesis, which is the Causal Mechanism of Disease or Injury to Exposed Persons, with reference to one or two peer reviewed articles for each Pathogen
4. Monitoring of Place and where appropriate, Persons, for Potential and Actual harm by each Pathogen
5. Describe relevant Legislation, Codes and Standards which apply to each Pathogen
6. Discuss issues of Compliance based on Legislation, Codes and Ethics for each Pathogen
7. Propose Implementation of Elimination or Control of each Pathogen
You should use an approach that demonstrates the principle of Exposure and Health Effect. As you consider each Hazard, the first three steps you need to look at are important to show your understanding of the problem facing you for each of the Hazards. In step 4, explore the possible ways to monitor the presence of each of the Pathogens and if possible, monitor the persons exposed. Finally in steps 5 to 7 you should wrap up the issues of Legislation, Compliance, Ethics and Control.
Then write a comprehensive report, in response to the question set in the Portfolio Assignment . The report should be written as a Consultant might write to a Client, and therefore is technical writing. As a report it should be addressed to the client, and should have a content flow, and headings, that are appropriate for such a report. The Lecturer will give examples of Technical Writing in lectures and supportive documents posted on the Course Moodle site prior to the submission date.