Assessment title: Historical analysis
Word length: 2500 words
Choose an area of interest related to mental health/mental health nursing history. Discuss this area of history and analyse how it has informed a current area of mental health/mental health nursing practice.
This is a very broad topic and it is important to narrow your focus. You may wish to choose a historical period or a historical topic. Or alternatively, you may wish to choose a topic within a particular historical period. The following are examples of what you may wish to choose. I have included a brief description of the significance of the period.
You may wish to choose a historical period. The following may be of interest to you:
· - Medieval times where often the community and/or the church cared for mentally unwell people.
· -The 18th century, which saw a paradigm shift to humanitarian concerns about those with mental illness resulting in the introduction of lunacy legislation, the widespread building of asylums, and the beginning of moral care.
· - The 19th century, which saw large numbers of people housed in asylums.
· - The beginning of the 20th century, which signified the introduction of psychoanalytical treatment and large numbers of men suffering from shell shock.
· - The 1950s and 1960s where antipsychotic medications were introduced and allowed long-term patients to be discharged to the community. This somewhat prompted and validated the deinstitutionalisation movement.
· - The 1970s, the era that saw the consumer movement gaining momentum.
Alternatively, you may wish to choose a particular topic and discuss its history. You may wish to discuss this broadly, for example, the history of antipsychotic medication. Or you may wish to discuss this within a particular time period, for example you may wish to just look at mental health nursing practices in the 1970s. Topics of interest may be any of the following:
· - pharmacological interventions;
· - biological treatments;
· - mental health legislation;
· - gender and mental health;
· - mental health nosology;
· - the growth of the consumer movement; or
· - mental health nursing practices.
In analysing how this historical period or historical topic has informed current mental health/mental health nursing practice, please don’t just describe. Analysis means examining positive and negative influences, ‘pulling apart’ different aspects of practice and history and coming to a logical conclusion. Also, please don’t assume that all history is ‘bad’ and that all current practice is ‘good’.