1. Record a role play of your engagement in a 15 minute (approximate) purposeful conversation that aims to develop a meaningful relationship with a 'consumer'. Please note this role play is not graded. Instructions for uploading this video will be available on the Moodle site.
2. This role play should be based around a clinical scenario that is significant for the nurse-consumer relationship.
3. Critique your interaction using a theory such as Heron’s six category intervention analysis. This will be available on the Moodle site. (This critique is to be placed in the appendices of your submission).
4. Drawing on your research into the role of relationship in recovery-oriented mental health practice, and communication skills in establishing a meaningful relationship, critique your interaction. This critique should be provided as a table in an appendix.
3. Write an essay on the importance of relationship in recovery oriented practice and draw on your critique to provide examples in your assessment. In your assessment please provide a justification as to the significance of the clinical scenario that you have chosen.
Part 1: Role-play (unmarked)
Prior to the event, you will be provided with background information on the context of the scenario, including your role, setting and a brief synopsis of the consumer.
On a negotiated time and day, a person playing the role of a consumer will be introduced to you online.
Your task is to interact with them in ways that you have previously researched to be usually effective in creating meaningful relationships in a therapeutic mental health context.
The interaction will be recorded.
You will not be marked on the role-play itself.
Part 2: Essay (marked)
Research the role of relationship regarding mental health challenges, communication, and recovery-oriented approaches to relationship, including factors that influence relational dynamics.
Replay the recording, and critically reflect on it focusing on strengths and areas for improvement, and provide examples of actions that are theoretically aligned with relationships in a recovery-oriented approach.
Address all four levels of relationship: intrapersonal, interpersonal, social/systemic, and spiritual/cultural in your reflection.
Draw upon sources found within seminal and contemporary consumer-driven literature as well as mental health scholarship to provide a critical and balanced discussion.
The word limit for this assessment is 2000-2500 words.
Please read widely and be sure to justify your responses with appropriate referencing. The quality and credibility of your sources are very important at a post-graduate level. You are required to use APA referencing.
Please refer to the marking guide for this assessment task.
Attach a cover page to the essay providing; your name and student number, your lecturer’s name, the name and code of the course and the number and name of the assignment.
Submission will be in two parts:
Submission will be a two part process. You will upload your video to YouTube and set the privacy settings so that only people provided with a copy of the link can view it. It is recommended you try to upload your video before the due date as issues with large files (video) can occur. You will provide your lecturer with a copy of the link, copy and pasted within your 2000-2500 word essay.
The 2000-2500 word assignment will be submitted as usual, through the Turnitin system.