On successful completion of this unit, you will be able to:
- Use appropriate grammar and writing patterns.
- Produce writing pieces according to audience and purpose using writing frameworks.
- Apply reading and note-taking frameworks and strategies to develop referenced academic paragraphs.
- Evaluate relevant, scholarly research to support academic writing.
- Record citation details according to referencing conventions.
- Use planning frameworks to produce a conventionally structured and referenced academic essay.
- Develop competence in the use of the online learning management system.
- Reflect on new ideas and their relationship to personal worldviews and academic learning.
On completion of this unit students should be able to apply the reading, thinking and writing skills necessary for academic purposes utilising appropriate grammar andwriting patterns. Students are familiarised with the stages of the writing process and assisted to apply a range of associated learning strategies. In addition, students develop strategies to plan and write paragraphs, using academic language and conventions. They are introduced to research, note-taking and referencing skills for this purpose. They are also encouraged to examine their own worldviews, and those of others, and to develop critical thinking skills. Students have the opportunity to participate in online discussion forums to support their learning. The unit culminates with students planning and writing an academic essay, using independent research skills acquired throughout the unit . Reflective practice is integral to the unit and this enables students to consider the connection between their personal learning journey and the unit outcomes.